WIndow Glossary

Allowance: A customary variation from an “exact” measurement, taken for the purpose of anticipated needs.


Apron: The wood trim molding below the windowsill.


Arch apex: The top point of the arch.


Arch window: A window in the shape of a half circle, often placed over a door or other windows for decoration and additional light.


Awning window: Windows that are hinged on top and swing outward to open; usually rectangular and wider than they are long.


Baton: A rod or wand used to hand draw traverse draperies.


Bay window: A group of windows set at angles to each other.


Bow window: A type of window that is curved or semicircular.


Bracket: A metal piece attached to the wall or casing to support a drapery or curtain rod, blinds, or shade.


Carries (aka slides): Small runners installed in the traverse rod, which hold a drapery pin or hook.


Window casing: The wood trim placed around the outside edge of the window recess.


Cathedral window: Slanted window often found with cathedral ceilings; the top of the window follows the slope of the ceiling.


Center support bracket: Additional hidden drapery brackets placed at the center of a long drapery rod when additional support is needed for heavy drapery and to prevent sagging.


Clearance allowance: The amount of space needed between layers of hardware or mounted treatments in order to allow them to function properly.


Clerestory windows: A series of small windows that let in light and air, usually high up on the wall to allow privacy.


Cord cleat: A piece of hardware attached to the wall around which window treatment cords can be secured.


Cord lock: A piece of hardware mounted to the head rail of a shade, through which the operating cords run. When the cords are pulled up, it secures the shade at the desired location.


Corner windows: Windows that meet at right angles at the corner of a room.


Crown molding: Decorative molding placed at a forty-five-degree angle at the ceiling.


Dormer window: An upright window that breaks the surface of a sloping roof.


Double-hung window: The most common style of window; two sashes move up and down.


Eyebrow window: Arched top window with elongated width. Not a true half circle.


Finished drop line: The place where the curtain stops.


Finished length: This is the length after draperies have been made.


Finished width: The actual width after the treatment is finished.


French doors: Usually used in pairs, the doors are made almost entirely of glass panes and open outward. They often open onto a porch or patio.


Front width: The width of the treatment board without returns.


Hopper windows: Hinged from the bottom of the window and open inward from the top, in a triangle shape. The reverse of awning windows.


Inside measurement: Measurement for a treatment so the window facing would be exposed after the treatment is installed.


Inside mount: Location of hardware and treatment are inside a structure, usually a window frame or cornice board. Mounting a treatment wall to wall is also treated as an inside mount.


Inside width: The maximum width of the window recess as measured from the inside.


Mullion: The vertical wood or masonry sections between two window frames.


Muntin: The horizontal and vertical wood strips that separate panes of glass in windows.


Outside measurement: Measurements taken of the outside perimeter of the window frame so that the treatment will cover all window facings.


Outside mount: The hardware for treatment is mounted on the outside of the window on the frame or wall and the treatment is not against any structure on the ends.


Outside width: The measurement of the window from the outside edge of the casing including the window to the other outside casing edge.


Palladian window: A series of windows with an arch on top.


Picture window: A type of window with a large center glass area with usually two smaller glass areas on each side.


Plinth: A square of decorative wood installed at corners of window frames.


Projection (aka return): The distance from the front of the window treatment to the wall where the bracket or board is attached.


Pull cord: The cord on a shade or blind that is pulled to open or close it.


Return: The distance from the front of the window treatment to the wall where the bracket or board is attached.


Sash: The part of a window that opens and closes. It includes a frame and one or more panes of glass. Also the frame and glass of an inoperable window.


Sidelight: A glass panel adjacent to a door, often used at entries for appearance and to provide more light.


Sill: The horizontal “ledge-like” portion of a window casing.


Skylight: A window in the roof that admits light from above. A skylight can be operable or not, some are flat while some are bubble-like.


Sliding glass doors: Large glass doors mounted on tracks that bypass each other.


Template: A tracing made on butcher paper of a hard-to-measure window, arch, or other element in order to create a record of its exact shape.


Vertical stack up: The area taken up by the stack of a shade or blind when it is fully open.


Window recess: The depth of the setback of the window from the wall surface.

 Email us  Message us  FAQ

* Send us your home photos through email or message for free design consultation

Scroll up to hide toolbars