LIVE view curtain designs in your home on your cell phone
Explore curtain ideas using our idea book
Choose styles, fabrics and accessories to design your own curtains.
Upgrade your home with timeless elegance!
Customize & order at the ease of your home | Free Shipping

WIndow Glossary

Allowance: A customary variation from an “exact” measurement, taken for the purpose of anticipated needs.


Apron: The wood trim molding below the windowsill.


Arch apex: The top point of the arch.


Arch window: A window in the shape of a half circle, often placed over a door or other windows for decoration and additional light.


Awning window: Windows that are hinged on top and swing outward to open; usually rectangular and wider than they are long.


Baton: A rod or wand used to hand draw traverse draperies.


Bay window: A group of windows set at angles to each other.


Bow window: A type of window that is curved or semicircular.


Bracket: A metal piece attached to the wall or casing to support a drapery or curtain rod, blinds, or shade.


Carries (aka slides): Small runners installed in the traverse rod, which hold a drapery pin or hook.


Window casing: The wood trim placed around the outside edge of the window recess.


Cathedral window: Slanted window often found with cathedral ceilings; the top of the window follows the slope of the ceiling.


Center support bracket: Additional hidden drapery brackets placed at the center of a long drapery rod when additional support is needed for heavy drapery and to prevent sagging.


Clearance allowance: The amount of space needed between layers of hardware or mounted treatments in order to allow them to function properly.


Clerestory windows: A series of small windows that let in light and air, usually high up on the wall to allow privacy.


Cord cleat: A piece of hardware attached to the wall around which window treatment cords can be secured.


Cord lock: A piece of hardware mounted to the head rail of a shade, through which the operating cords run. When the cords are pulled up, it secures the shade at the desired location.


Corner windows: Windows that meet at right angles at the corner of a room.


Crown molding: Decorative molding placed at a forty-five-degree angle at the ceiling.


Dormer window: An upright window that breaks the surface of a sloping roof.


Double-hung window: The most common style of window; two sashes move up and down.


Eyebrow window: Arched top window with elongated width. Not a true half circle.


Finished drop line: The place where the curtain stops.


Finished length: This is the length after draperies have been made.


Finished width: The actual width after the treatment is finished.


French doors: Usually used in pairs, the doors are made almost entirely of glass panes and open outward. They often open onto a porch or patio.


Front width: The width of the treatment board without returns.


Hopper windows: Hinged from the bottom of the window and open inward from the top, in a triangle shape. The reverse of awning windows.


Inside measurement: Measurement for a treatment so the window facing would be exposed after the treatment is installed.


Inside mount: Location of hardware and treatment are inside a structure, usually a window frame or cornice board. Mounting a treatment wall to wall is also treated as an inside mount.


Inside width: The maximum width of the window recess as measured from the inside.


Mullion: The vertical wood or masonry sections between two window frames.


Muntin: The horizontal and vertical wood strips that separate panes of glass in windows.


Outside measurement: Measurements taken of the outside perimeter of the window frame so that the treatment will cover all window facings.


Outside mount: The hardware for treatment is mounted on the outside of the window on the frame or wall and the treatment is not against any structure on the ends.


Outside width: The measurement of the window from the outside edge of the casing including the window to the other outside casing edge.


Palladian window: A series of windows with an arch on top.


Picture window: A type of window with a large center glass area with usually two smaller glass areas on each side.


Plinth: A square of decorative wood installed at corners of window frames.


Projection (aka return): The distance from the front of the window treatment to the wall where the bracket or board is attached.


Pull cord: The cord on a shade or blind that is pulled to open or close it.


Return: The distance from the front of the window treatment to the wall where the bracket or board is attached.


Sash: The part of a window that opens and closes. It includes a frame and one or more panes of glass. Also the frame and glass of an inoperable window.


Sidelight: A glass panel adjacent to a door, often used at entries for appearance and to provide more light.


Sill: The horizontal “ledge-like” portion of a window casing.


Skylight: A window in the roof that admits light from above. A skylight can be operable or not, some are flat while some are bubble-like.


Sliding glass doors: Large glass doors mounted on tracks that bypass each other.


Template: A tracing made on butcher paper of a hard-to-measure window, arch, or other element in order to create a record of its exact shape.


Vertical stack up: The area taken up by the stack of a shade or blind when it is fully open.


Window recess: The depth of the setback of the window from the wall surface.

 Email us  Message us  FAQ

* Send us your home photos through email or message for free design consultation

Scroll up to hide toolbars